About Oxford Memorial Library

Situated on Fort Hill Park, the Oxford Memorial Library can be found in a Federal-style house originally built by Theodore Burr, and is listed on the National Historic Register.  It was built between 1809 to 1811, with wings added at an unknown later date.  The home was later occupied by: the families of Ira Wilcox, an Oxford merchant, from 1814 – 1873, and Benjamin Cannon, a lawyer, from 1873 – 1890; and served as the Rectory for St. Joseph’s Church from 1890 – 1899.  In 1900, the house, with its grounds, was given to Oxford to be dedicated as a free public library in memory of Eli Lyon Corbin and Abigail Taintor Corbin (his wife) by their children.

 

In 2007, after several years of planning and obtaining necessary start-up funding, the Library began a 5 year Capital Campaign to renovate the Burr House.  Part of this phased Capital Campaign was to add new construction for a Staff Book Processing space, and for a new Community and Youth Services Room.  The renovation began with the Young Adult Room, and moved to the new construction of the Staff Book Processing space.  The renovation of the Reading Room area, which also includes books on CD and cassettes, and the Large Print collection, was part of this.

 

In 2009, construction began on the Community and Youth Services Room, a 1,000 square foot meeting space complete with kitchenette and state of the art AV equipment.  This new construction also included the addition of a lift, making the Library and CYSR handicap accessible.  The CYSR may be used free of charge by community groups once they have filled out an application and it is approved; it is also available for use at times when the Library is closed.  Community Room Application

 

In 2012 and into January of 2013, we finalized the renovations of the Burr House, relocating book stacks to ensure we are completely handicap accesible on the main floor.  The upgrading and replacing of necessary electrical service was an important part of this phase.  Once the old carpeting was removed, a beautiful wood floor was found underneath and was refinished and area carpets laid as needed.  And the last piece of this phase totally renovated the second floor meeting space.  This room is also available to community groups to use during Library hours at no charge once an Application is received and approved.  2nd Floor Meeting Room Application